Current:Home > MarketsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -TrueNorth Capital Hub
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:05:18
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (178)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- The Real Reason Vanderpump Rules' Scheana Shay Was in Tom Sandoval's Hotel Room at BravoCon
- Investigators accessed Trump White House cellphone records and plan to use them at trial, special counsel says
- Wrongfully convicted Minnesota man set free after nearly 2 decades in prison
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Death of Adam Johnson sparks renewed interest in guard mandates for youth hockey
- Benched Texas high school basketball player arrested for assaulting coach, authorities say
- No victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- No victims found after seven-story building partially collapses in Bronx
Ranking
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Japan court convicts 3 ex-servicemen in sexual assault case brought by former junior soldier
- The 2024 Toyota Prius wins MotorTrend's Car of the Year
- A Jordanian soldier is killed in a clash with drug smugglers along the border with Syria
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Why White Lotus Season 3 Is Already Making Jaws Drop
- Harvard faculty and alumni show support for president Claudine Gay after her House testimony on antisemitism
- How much for the two turtle doves, please? Unpacking the real cost of 12 Days of Christmas
Recommendation
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
A $44 million lottery ticket, a Sunoco station, and the search for a winner
Climate activists struggle to be heard at this year's U.N. climate talks
Australians prepare for their first cyclone of the season
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Brandon Aubrey, kicker for the Cowboys, hasn't missed a field goal. Maybe he should.
Suspect in fatal grocery store shooting leaves behind debit card, leading to his arrest
An asylum-seeker in UK has died onboard a moored barge housing migrants
Tags
Like
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Investigators accessed Trump White House cellphone records and plan to use them at trial, special counsel says
- Inaugural Jazz Music Awards will be broadcast on PBS and PBS Passport with host Dee Dee Bridgewater